Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Winter birds arriving

It's starting to get pretty cold outside down in Canberra, and some of the winter birds have started to come back with it.
I just spent half an hour down at the local park a few minutes from my house, and was very pleased to see a pair of Scarlet Robins, and a stunning male Golden Whistler. Of course, there were lots of the usual birds, Yellow Rumped Thornbill, Brown Thornbill, Weebill, Red Wattlebird, Spotted Pardalote and Willie Wagtail hanging around, and the thornbills were in quite large numbers.
Apparently there are still a few migratory species hanging around, a single Yellow Faced Honeyeater was feeding in the gum trees, and I was very surprised to see some Superb Parrots fly over calling. I'd assumed they had all left, as they usually only seem to be around in the summer.
Heading back through my suburb on my bike, several quite large parties of King Parrots were around, and I could hear a Gang Gang Cockatoo in the distance.
Sadly I didn't get any useable photos, as the light had largely disappeared. I might try heading out tomorrow morning while the light is good, and see if those robins are still about!

Julian

2 comments:

  1. Love to see a superb parrot, would be a tick for me! May need to head to canberra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty awesome, Phillip! Summer's the best time to see them here, this year there were reports of up to twenty at a golf course not far from my house! Very nice bird to have around :)

      Delete