Monday, May 6, 2013

Good evening, good evening, good evening!

Good evening, good evening, good evening! And welcome to the blog!

I'm Simon Gorta, a Sydney based birder of 15 years. 

Although I was born in Sydney and still live here, since a very young age I have been going up to Hawks Nest on the mid-north coast of NSW, the northern side of Port Stephens for regular holiday trips. How could I not get into birding when whistling kites pass over the house on a daily basis, bowerbirds regularly sit in the gum tree out the back and when boobooks and tawny frogmouths are regular night time visitors. However, it was a kayaking tour of the Myall River up there with Larry Toffler that really got my birding going. He pointed out the river's birdlife, from kites to kingfishers to egrets and cormorants, as well as dolphins and other animals of the river. From there, my parent got me a field guide subsequently binos and a camera and well, how could I not start birding after that! 
I have been banding once, and am planning to keep going... sadly however, school limits those opportunities in the short term.

I think that is about it for me - Julian seems to have done most of the introductory business for the actual blog... hopefully I'll be able to get out soonish and start posting!!! 

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment